Production on Issue 5 has gone pretty smoothly.  Its has its weak points, which I’ll be sure to highlight, and a few challenges, but mostly it went well.  Circus tents are easy.

Page 1 actually turned out to be one of the challenges.  It took me a few tries to get it to where it is.  I had envisioned the top panel to be a larger city view but after two tries it just wasn’t working.  Due to the needs of the story, the time of day needed to be late afternoon, but I also wanted so darkness.  For the life of me I couldn’t figure out the lighting..  Likewise, my first attempt at the party scene was also sub par.  In my original vision for the page, Mr. Porq was in the middle panel.  He was also in the party scene, in a similar pose to the one he is in here.  I thought it might be interesting, but it didn’t come together.  So I ended up with the Brownstones and Stillface, which I think works well as it references the original encounter between Mr. Porq and company and the Still face from Issue 1.  The lighting/shadows on the Brownstones are still a bit undercooked, maybe.  Overall, I think it all worked out for the best.

Sometimes the way you envision it just doesn’t jell!  The wallpapers, which I’m still faithfully reproducing, are a great example, at least when it comes to the colors.  The wallpaper color combination is something I just can’t hold in my brain, so on hand adjustments end up with interesting combinations.  I liked the golden glow that showed up here.  So much in fact, that I used for the inside cover pattern.  I’m hoping it can stay…I have to see how they look next to each other.

Speaking of making tweaks, I adjusted the title for the Issue 5 cover.  I think it’s getting there… I have to fix the “wraith” titles, too.